Dysmenorrhoea Treatment Ayurveda
Dysmenorrhoea is medically defined as pain during the menstrual periods which is severe enough to interfere with regular activities.
Menstrual cramps, which are often referred to as dysmenorrhoea, are in the true sense are uterine contractions during certain times of the menstrual cycle which are intense, frequent and prolonged than other times.
Types & Causes of dysmenorrhoea
Primary dysmenorrhoeaMenstrual pain which does not arise due to an underlying disease /cause. It occurs due to the uterine contractions which occult the blood supply to the endometrium and also the surrounding tissues. Those having primary dysmenorrhoea have frequent uterine contractions and muscle activity and contractility
Secondary dysmenorrhoeaPain during menses arising due an underlying cause. The various reasons for such pain are:
- Pelvic inflammatory diseases
- Ovarian cysts
- Cervical stenosis
- Pelvic congestions.
Sign & Symptoms
- Pain in the lower abdomen starting just prior to the menstruation
- Relief of pain within a few hours up to one or two days
- Radiating pain to back and inner thigh
- Head ache
- Highly sensitive to sound and light
Yoga, Pranayama and meditation
- Easily digestible and nutritive food in regular intervals.
- Avoid food which may induce constipation.
- Papaya and drum stick are good.
- Use of Asa foetida is advised.
- Warm water for drinking.
- Avoid preserved, refrigerated, fried and sour food.
- Avoid day time sleeping